Let me know how you get on and if you’d like any further advice or tips get in touch.
1. Bread, other cereals and potatoes: Most meals should be based on this food group. They should make up one third of your diet, or 4 to 6 servings a day. One serving of this food group is equivalent to around:
- 1 medium bowl (40g) All Bran
- 1 large (90g) pitta bread
- 1 medium plate (230g) wholemeal boiled spaghetti
- 1 large slice (55g) wholemeal bread
- 1 large (220g) baked potato
- 1 large bowl (290g) boiled rice
2. Fruit and vegetables: Aim for at least 5 servings a day, which should make up one third of your diet. One portion of both fruit and vegetables is equivalent to around 80g, not including pips, seeds, pulp and non-edible skin.
For fruits this means:
- 1 slice of very large fruit, e.g. pineapple, melon
- 1 large fruit, e.g. banana, orange, apple
- 2 medium fruits, e.g. kiwi, plum, apricot
- 5 small fruits, e.g. lychee, passion fruit
- 1 cup of very small fruit, e.g. grapes, raspberries
- 3 tablespoons canned or stewed fruit
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons dried fruit, e.g. raisins
- 1 small (150ml) glass fruit juice
For vegetables this means:
- 2 tablespoons of any cooked vegetables, e.g. broccoli, carrots, parsnips
- 1 small bowl of salad
- 3 tablespoons of small cooked vegetables, e.g. sweetcorn, peas
3. Milk and dairy foods: This group should make up a sixth of the diet, or around 2-3 servings a day. Aim to choose reduced and low-fat versions when possible. One average portion is equivalent to:
- 1/3 pint (200ml) milk
- 1 small (125g) pot yoghurt or fromage frais
- 1 small piece (40g) hard cheese, e.g. Edam
- 1 small (100g) pot cottage cheese
4. Meat, fish and alternatives: This group should make up a sixth of your diet, or around 2 servings per day. Aim to choose reduced and low-fat versions when possible. One average portion is equivalent to:
- 90g cooked meat and poultry, e.g. 3 slices of roast pork, 1 small rib end pork chop, 1 quarterpounder beefburger, 1 chicken drumstick, 2 rashers middle bacon, 2 large sausages
- 100-150g cooked fish, e.g. 1 salmon steak, 1 medium plaice fillet, 1 medium cod fillet, 1 small can tuna
- 1 (60g) cooked egg
- 3 tablespoons cooked beans or lentils
- 2 tablespoons nuts
5. Foods containing fat and sugar: This group should make up no more than a twelfth of your diet.
6. Alcohol: Recommendations are that men should not exceed between 3-4 units of alcohol a day and women should not exceed between 2-3 units of alcohol per day. One unit of alcohol is equivalent to 8g, which translates as:
- 1 small (100ml) glass of wine or 2 glasses of low-alcohol wine
- 1 measure (50ml) fortified wine, e.g. sherry
- 1 single pub measure (25ml) spirits
- ½ pint of standard strength beer, lager, cider
Best wishes Garth
Like to know MORE? Gimme a call
What to turn your body into a fat burning furnace?
Want to do it fast, easy and as cost effective as possible?
Subscribe to my newsletter and grab this great report – for free. <—– click here now.